biomedical textiles, specializing in braided and
nonwoven components for medical devices.
It takes advanced capabilities to develop today’s highly technical medical devices. At US BioDesign, our teams of experienced engineers and technicians work closely with leading medical device companies to develop advanced medical braids and implantable devices that incorporate biomedical textile constructs.
Core Technologies for Custom Biomedical Textiles
Medical Braiding, including Nitinol Braids & Micro-Braiding
Medical braiding is often integral to the design of minimally invasive cardiovascular sports medicine and neurovascular medical devices. When designing an advanced medical braid, it is essential to consider many factors, such as delivery catheter size, radial force, radiopacity, and long-term or short-term use, among others. Our engineers will discuss these and other details with you when designing a unique braided structure specifically for your product.
The materials we use in our braided structures may be strong and relatively easy to work with, or extremely delicate and difficult to handle. In some cases, individual strands are so fine it is nearly impossible to see them with the naked eye. Some materials are also very expensive. Material handling during production is critical to product quality and cost efficiency. Our technicians are trained in optimal handling methods for each of the specialty materials and equipment we use for medical braiding applications.
At US BioDesign, our technicians undergo rigorous training to gain the experience and deep knowledge necessary to produce custom biomedical textiles. Most of the manufacturing equipment we use to produce our advanced medical braids is designed or modified to meet our specifications and requirements. In fact, one of our medical braiding machines is the largest of its kind in the world, capable of producing very fine pore sizes at larger tubular diameters than smaller braiding machines.
Custom Nitinol Braids
While we work with a variety of materials in medical braiding, we specialize in custom nitinol braids. Nitinol is a nickel-titanium alloy (NiTi) with exceptional shape memory and superelastic properties. When braided nitinol is formed under tension in its martensitic state, and then heat treated at a temperature to achieve austenitic properties, the shape may be deformed and will recover at or below the “austenite finish temperature". A unique martensite/austenite structure gives it springy, rubber-like flexibility. These and other factors make custom nitinol braids ideal for a variety of medical applications, from catheters and stents to laproscopes, occluders, and more.
Braided Structures for Medical Devices
With our expertise in custom medical manufacturing, we provide a huge array of design options for advanced medical braids. We can provide biomedical braids that change sizes for deployment via catheters, braids with dense construction to occlude or slow the flow of bodily fluids, braids with controlled pore sizes to capture particles, and in other specialized arrangements. Comprehensive medical braiding expertise enables US BioDesign to deliver braided structures that meet your unique application and performance requirements.
Advantages of Custom Biomedical Textiles
US BioDesign is an industry-leading medical braid OEM. There are numerous advantages to using custom biomedical textiles for implantable medical devices, including:
- Biocompatibility: US BioDesign uses nothing but top quality biocompatible materials, manufactured by known and approved sources. All materials are tested and evaluated by world-class laboratories to ensure fitness for medical applications.
- Traceability: We know how important traceability is in custom medical manufacturing. Our internal material tracking system provides complete material traceability from raw material to shipment of the finished product.
- Mechanical Properties: With our expertise in custom biomedical textiles, we can help you determine which biomedical textile material is right for your project. We will help you select the material(s) that provide the right balance of strength, stiffness, flexibility, and dimensional stability for your unique needs.
How to Choose the Right Medical Braid OEM for Your Project
- Experience & Capabilities: Manufacturing potentially lifesaving medical device components requires more than simply having the right equipment and right materials available. You need a medical braid OEM with proven experience and adaptable capabilities that can deliver solutions that don’t just look good on paper, but that actually perform the way you need them to in the real world.
- Company Size: It’s important to find a manufacturer that’s large enough to meet your quantity requirements, but small enough to provide hands-on, personalized service for your project. Being able to speak with a real person who can address any questions or concerns you may have is a major key to success, no matter how large or small your project may be.
- Quality Control: With custom biomedical textiles, quality is critical. To ensure that your advanced medical braids meet crucial quality standards, it’s important to work with a company that has the right quality accreditations, including ISO 13485:2016.
Contact US BioDesign for Your Custom Biomedical Textile Project
We encourage our clients to work closely with us and to learn as much about our custom medical manufacturing technologies as possible, so they can leverage our knowledge and experience when designing their medical devices. Contact US BioDesign to discuss lifesaving biomedical technologies for your application. Additionally, please browse our Virtual Sample Kit for inspiration from samples of our technology.